Thursday, February 21, 2013

Let Out the Sunshine

I spent some time reading this book today in preparation for a conference session I am giving next month concerning art at the early childhood level.  The book has a great introduction, theory, and actual art presentations and sequence.  I found myself underlining, making notations, and jotting down ideas of ways to inspire teachers to allow for art to happen in a Montessori setting.  Several times throughout my reading I noted that the child should have a beautiful, peaceful, well lit area to create.  This should be a place fully prepared by the teacher, but then the child is allowed to be independent in choosing the activity, creating, and the clean up process.

Give them a warm inviting area, without adult involvement and they will create.

Just before bedtime this evening I was caught off guard by my 5 1/2 year old.  "Mama, I need to have some glue in my room."  Me, "ughhhh no!" (without even taking a second to think). Humphrey, "Mama, I really need some glue in my room!!!"   Me, "You have a nice art area downstairs where you may have glue, why do you think you need it in your room?"  Humphrey, "Mama, I need to create" (said in a dreamy voice).

Let Out the Sunshine, you have created an inner dilema for me.  Thanks a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment